
Everyone always says, "I have the best mom in the whole world!" I have met a lot of amazing women, and all of them are amazing mothers (both my grandmas, all of my aunts and cousins for example). I think that it is fair to say that a good majority of mothers are good mothers, maybe even great mothers. But there is a small percentage of "Elite Mothers". My mom is one of the elite mothers here on the Earth, and I'm so grateful that she's mine.
When I grow up, I want to be just like my mom, and here's why...- She's love everyone, no matter what. She gives every person the benefit of the doubt, and never judges anyone.
- She is a great cook.
- She made me play piano, and even though I didn't appreciate it at the time, I cherish it now (even though I need to "relearn").
- She always encouraged/enforced modesty. While shopping, she would state her opinion in a question format... "Do you think that skirt is too short?"
- She kisses people she hardly knows, which breaks down a barrier.
- She balanced five kids, and I never felt neglected.
- She was a great teacher. She installed the love of learning and books into each one of us. One of my favorite childhood memories is picking out books to read in our home library.
- She has the ability to laugh at herself. Like the conversation that just took place tonight at 9pm. Dad, "Let's get started playing cards. Kelly has to be to the reservoir at 6 o'clock." Mom, "Tonight?!?!" long pause while we stared at her... "Oh, right!"
- She didn't let us watch a lot of TV. We didn't have cable. She taught us how to play board games, play outside, and play "house". We had lots of dolls, barbies, and dress-up clothes, we were taught to use our imaginations!
- With all the soccer, basketball, volleyball, choir, piano lessons, and everything else going on, I was always supported 100%. I'm sure that's not easy with 5 VERY active children!
- My mom loves me unconditionally. I gave her a run for her money in high school (I have no doubt that she had second thoughts about giving birth to me), but she showed me what it means to be loved, no matter what.
- I scarcely remember the number of times when my mom raised her voice at me, or disciplined me (even when I deserved it). Except for that one time when she spanked me and my sisters with some sort of cooking utensil :)
- My mom is an amazing listener. She listens to all my stories, even the long ones.
- She is a people pleaser. She wants to make everyone happy, and somehow, she always finds a way.
- She's an amazing women, mother, wife, grandma, daughter and friend. My best friend in fact.
I would say that my mom is the best mom in the whole world, but I don't want to take anything away from the other amazing women in the world. I do know that my mom is one of the few "Elite Mothers", and she is a perfect fit for me. Mom, you are the best mom in MY world, and I love you.
Wow Kelly! You just made me cry buckets of "joy" tears. I feel so blessed that I got to be your Mom. I want to go wake you up right now and give you a big kiss and hug. (But you are sleeping and dreaming about the biathlon tomorrow at 6 a.m.) Thank you for being such a wonderful friend and daughter. Love you more, Mama. :)
ReplyDeleteKelly this is beautiful. Your mom is pretty awesome!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great tribute! I have to agree that she is one awesome person! Love you both.
ReplyDeleteI love this, Kelly and agree 100%! I love #7 and remember the cool library in our old house and growing up loving to read. Mom, you're the best! (and Kelly, you're the second best! jk :) )
ReplyDeleteThat is such a great post!
ReplyDeleteDear Daughter #2,
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to let you know that I still love this post, and love that I gave birth to you.....even though it was really, really,.....really, painful and hard. Thanks again.
Also, just wanted to remind you that I still haven't received a tangible Mother's Day gift from you, and also, you're leaving tomorrow for 3 weeks, so you're running out of time. Just a gentle reminder, because I love you.
Love,
Ma Ma
J/K Kelly, I LOVE this post, and you have such a great memory and a great way with words. However, I would have to disagree on one thing, I think she actually IS the best mom in the whole world! You did a great job, and you're doing a great job with your life, too. Keep it up!!!!