Friday, April 22, 2011

A Proud Teacher...

April is annual Quarters for Kids Month, so it's really got me thinking about things. Quarters for Kids is a program raising money for the homeless children in Denver; it's the difference between starting the day with a good breakfast or going to school hungry. Here are the facts that really made me passionate about this program...
  1. $0.25 is the cost to provide breakfast for a youth staying a local homeless shelter.
  2. The average age of a homeless person in Colorado is nine.
  3. Colorado has the highest rate of childhood homelessness in the country.
I'm a teacher, so naturally I shared this passion with my fifth grade students, and they were equally excited to help. They went into their piggy banks, scrounged around the house, and donated the money they earned from doing chores! My class raised $154.25. The best thing about this program is that 100% of all the money raised goes directly to help feed these children.


I'm proud of my kids, and they are proud of themselves. They learned that doing a small act (donating quarters) can collectively make a huge difference. I'm so grateful that I got to be apart of that lesson...

Below are pictures of homeless children, and the bug is in me again. I need to do something... whether that is locally or over seas. I need to find time in my life for the little ones who need to be taught, played with, or simply held.





6 comments:

  1. You just reminded me of how much I want to help too. That is so sad. I'm surprised that Colorado is number one and not New York or Mississippi or somewhere like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So heartbreaking but so cool you guys did something! Way to go!! Can't wait to see you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been searching for the reference origin for the "average age of a homeless person in Colorado as being 9 years." Can you help me with that source? I'm the director of Homeless Gear, a non profit serving Colorado's Homeless. Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of the many reasons why I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the facts that I referenced and more can be found at http://www.quartersforkids.org/ under the teacher tools tab :)

    ReplyDelete