Friday, December 4, 2009

The Art of an Action Shot


Action shots are pure joy. The happiness that comes from these photos is equivalent to a child in a toy store. I love action shots because the facial expressions are pure emotion. The expressions on your face are authentic, you can't pose. You are literally caught in the moment!

I recently went snowboarding with a friend who had never taken an action shot before! He is 25 or 26 and I was simply appalled. I assumed that every American participated in the craziness. I realized that it was my duty as an aunt to teach Maxwell, my nephew, the art of an action shot. Now, he's only 4... and his fine motor skills are not quite there, but it's never too early to start training!

Here are some "Action Shot Guidelines"...

1. Right before the picture, you have to time it just right. Timing is essential!

2. Get low, and load before the jump.

3. Jump as high as you can, and do something crazy with your arms and legs!

4. If you can't jump very high, you can jump off of something.

5. Just know that it takes a few trials to get a really good action shot. And an action shot can be taken at ANY time.

Side-note: you're never too old for action shots!

After reviewing the guidelines with Maxwell, we gave it shot! Here are a few of our trials...

This is our best one!!!After all that jumping, we took a bath and crashed. I never said action shots were easy, but they are absolutely priceless :)

3 comments:

  1. this made me smile a million watt happy smile! Action shots are where it's at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If action shots are an art...you're quite an artist! What talent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maxwell is such a stud, dang cute. I love that someone else loves non-posed action shots as much as I do. Our boarding shot turned out great.

    ReplyDelete